One of the staple dish in the Filipino dining table is this chicken caldereta or kalderetang manok. This dish is similar to beef caldereta and chicken afritada. Basically, it is chicken marinated and sauteed, then cooked with tomato sauce, bell pepper and potatoes. Others may add liver spread to make the sauce creamy. This delicious dish will surely be loved by your family. The original kaldereta is a goat stew made with goat shoulders, tomato sauce, potatoes, spices, liver spread, olives, bell peppers and hot peppers. Kaldereta is a favorite Filipino meal served during parties, festivities and other special occasions in the Philippines. This version of chicken stew is a rich and flavorful meal: grated cheese and liver spread make the caldereta sauce richer while others add olives to make it a party-worthy dish.
- 1 chicken (1 kilo)
- 1 can liver spread or
- 1 cup lechon sauce
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 3-4 pcs. sweet whole pickles (sliced slanting by, 1/4′ thick)
- 1/4 cup pickle sauce
- 2 bell pepper (red & green, strips)
- 3 onions (quartered)
- 4 Frankfurters or sausage (sliced slantingly, 1/4″ thick
- 1/2 head garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
How To Cook Chicken Kaldereta Recipe:
- Clean chicken, cut into small serving pieces. marinate in vinegar, soy sauce, salt, pepper, and garlic. Let stand for 1-2 hours. Drain. Fry until a little brown.
- Put back fried chicken into vinegar mixture, add tomato sauce, pickles, pickle liquid, onions. Cover.
- When it starts boiling, lower heat and simmer until chicken is tender. Add the rest of the ingredients, Thicken sauce with liver spread or prepared lechon sauce. Cook for another 10 minutes.
- If you want a more spicy caldereta, add minced siling labuyo and more powdered pepper.