Filipinos are fun of having salads probably because of the how weather. Just like spaghetti, this Filipino-style macaroni salad is one of the things we adapted from the west and made our own. Macaroni salad is one of the all-time favorite appetizer that is staple on the table especially during holidays and other occasions. This is made with elbow macaroni, mayonnaise, white vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt, pepper, onion, celery , bell pepper, carrot, and pimiento peppers. There are wide variations of different ways to cook macaroni salad. But the recipe we have here is the classic one, including the basic ingredient. Have this recipe pined on your list of next to cook, macaroni salad will surely never fail on satisfying a crave for something savoring. Happy cooking!
- 4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup grated carrot (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimento peppers (optional)
How To Cook Classic Macaroni Salad:
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add the macaroni, and cook until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Rinse under cold water and drain.
- In a large bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Stir in the onion, celery, green pepper, carrot, pimentos and macaroni. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving, but preferably overnight.