Principally, crispy pata is made from whole pork leg boiled until tender and then deep-fried up to golden and crisp. Because of its long cooking and cooling time plus the inconvenience of deep-frying, this crispy pork dish is usually reserved for special occasions. Though, you can always simplify the process by boiling a couple or more pieces at a time and storing them in the freezer for future use. Its crunchy on the outside and moist on the inside texture really make this a popular Filipino delicacy that is sinfully delicious. Perfect to serve with spicy vinegar dip or lechon sauce and plenty of rice! This dish will surely be a hit once you put this on the tables. Experience this for yourself by trying this simple and easy to follow recipe we have.
Crispy Pata Ingredients:
- 1 whole pig’s leg (pata, about 3-4 lbs) cleaned
- 6 pcs dried bay leaves
- 2 tbsp whole peppercorn
- 4-6 star anise (optional)
- 6 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 to 3 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp leeks
- 1 tbsp sili green
- 12-15 cups water
- 8-12 cups cooking oil
For the Special Sauce:
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 red finger chilli in diagonal slices
- 2 shallots or half a red onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp shredded fresh ginger
How To Cook Crispy Pata:
- Pour water in a cooking pot then let boil.
- Put in dried bay leaves, whole peppercorn, star anise, leeks, sili green and 4 teaspoons of salt.
- Add the whole pig’s legs in the cooking pot then simmer until the leg becomes tender (about 45 to 60 minutes).
- Remove the tender leg from the cooking pot and set aside until the temperature goes down.
- Heat a clean large cooking pot (preferably with cover) and pour in cooking oil.
- When the oil becomes hot, deep fry the rubbed pork leg.
- Continue cooking in medium heat until one side becomes crispy, and then cautiously flip the leg to crisp the other side.
- Mix all ingredients for the special sauce.
Image Credit: abs-cbnnews.com