Dinakdakan is a delicious appetizer dish that came from the Ilocos Region. This savoring dish is made-up of boiled and grilled pig parts such as ears, liver, and face (mascara) are the most commonly used; other parts such as stomach and intestines can also be utilized. This may looks like sisig, the only difference is that the ingredients in this recipe is not finely chopped. Dinakdakan on its authentic recipe uses pig brain making the dish a a thick and sticky texture. However, we won’t be daring in this recipe feature because I had a hard time sourcing for pig brain. This version of recipe might not be the authentic version, but it will surely taste great. What’s more important in preparing dinakdakan is to focus on the texture of the pig parts. Just make sure that each ingredient comes out really tender after you boiling; you do not want your dish to be tough and hard to chew. Try this dinakdakan and enjoy!
- ½ kg pig ears, or pig snout, or pig skin (variety meats)
- ½ kg pork, cubed
- 2 onions, chopped
- ¼ cup calamansi juice
How To Cook Pork Dinakdakan:
- Boil the pork cubes in water with salt until tender. Remove from water when cooked; set aside.
- Meanwhile, grill the variety meats tender but not crispy.
- Slice the variety meats into ½ inch wide and 1 inch long pieces.
- Place pork cubes and grilled variety meats in a bowl.
- Add the garlic, minced onion, lemon juice and mayonnaise. Mix well and serve immediately.
Note: For a spicier Dinakdakan, add chopped bird’s eye chili.
Image Credit: knorr.com.ph