Chicken curry is a Filipino style creamy stew with a mild curry flavor, cooked with coconut milk, potatoes and bell peppers. The dish is made with a mixture of several spices — turmeric, cumin, coriander, to name a few. Some even have curry leaves. The spiciness of the curry depends on the blending of these spices, thus, we mellow out with the coconut milk in this recipe. A Filipino Recipe that has a resemblance with Chicken Curry is “Ginataang Manok” (chicken cooked in coconut milk). The difference is that Ginataang Manok does not use any strong spices. Delight your meals by preparing this chicken curry. Its spicy and meaty taste will surely won’t disappoint you. Try it now!
- 1 kilo chicken
- 2 medium sized potatoes, chopped
- 1 big carrot, sliced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 2 inches length
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 thumb ginger, cut into strips
- 1 cup water
How To Cook Filipino Style Chicken Curry Recipe:
- Cut the chicken into pieces. Leave the chicken bone-in. If you prefer boneless chicken meat, then de-bone the chicken.
- Heat up a deep pot and add the oil.
- Fry the potato and carrots for 2 minutes and set aside.
- Sauté Chicken together with garlic, onion and ginger.
- When garlic is light brown in color add fish sauce, and curry powder
- Stir well then add water then cover the pot and lower the heat to medium and simmer until the chicken is tender.
- Once the chicken is cooked add the red bell pepper, celery, carrot and potato then simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the coconut milk and mix well. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice.