- 1 Pound Large Shrimps or Prawns, shells removed, tails intact
- 1/2 cup All-purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder (optional)
- 1 tsp Onion Powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 cup ICE COLD Water
- 2 cups Panko breadcrumbs or any Dried Breadcrumbs
- Cooking Oil for Frying
- 1/2 cup Light Sodium or Regular Soy Sauce
- Wasabi or Japanese Horseradish
How to cook Shrimp Tempura:
- Mix together the batter ingredients and place inside the refrigerator while the shrimps are being prepped.
- Slit the underside of the shrimps at an angle to make them straight. Set aside.
- Take out the batter mix from the refrigerator and dip each shrimp, then dredge in the breadcrumbs. Repeat for all the shrimps before you start frying.
- Heat up the cooking oil using medium low heat and drop the shrimps one by one without crowding them in the oil.
- Cook until golden brown about 3-4 minutes, then set on a paper towel to drain excess oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Serve with the dipping sauce.
Source : Filipino Food Recipes