Originally, ramen is a Japanese dish that consist of Chinese-style wheat noodles served in a meat or fish based broth. This is commonly flavored with soy sauce or miso and uses topping such as pork, dried seaweed, menme and green onions. However, just like the many traditional dish, this ramen has evolved in many varieties to choose from. Each have different ingredients used on different regions. This recipe we have here made it extra special using ingredients such as fresh ramen noodles, pork belly, ginger, garlic, shitake mushrooms, leeks, sesame oil, chili bean paste, dried bonito flakes, water, Japanese miso, soy sauce, and rice vinegar. Topped using shrimps, boiled eggs, narutomakiand nori. This dish will never disappoint you if you are looking for warm and comforting food to enjoy during cold weather. Try it now!
- 300g fresh ramen noodles
- 250g pork belly, sliced 1 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 inch ginger, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 stalks leeks, sliced
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp Chili Bean Paste (Doubanjiang)
- 1 package dried bonito flakes
For the Seasonings:
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp japanese miso
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
For the Toppings:
- 6 shrimps, peeled and deveined (+ 1 tbsp sake for boiling)
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 1/3 cup slices of narutomaki
- 1 package nori
How To Cook Special Ramen:
- In a medium saucepan, heat sesame oil over medium high heat.
- Add ginger and garlic when oil is hot.
- When fragrant, add chili bean paste and stir.
- Add the meat and cook until no longer pink.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms and cook until wilted.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Using fine sieve, strain out scum if necessary.
- Lower the heat to medium low and add miso and soy sauce in the soup and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped green onions and rice vinegar. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Prepare toppings. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add 1 tbsp sake and shrimp. Once the shrimp starts changing color, turn off the heat and cover to let the remaining heat cook the shrimp. Drain and set aside.
- For the noodles, cook in boiling water. When done, drain completely and place in ice cold water. Divide the noodles on plates/bowls. Serve all the toppings on the noodles or on a separate plate.
- Pour the hot soup in a bowl. Serve the cold noodles, toppings, and soup and sprinkle bonito flakes in the soup right before eating.
Image Credit: afoodieworld.com